Monday, October 17, 2011

Walk of Shame


If I never experience the roller coaster of euphoria (first time to show) and then embarassment (at placing dead LAST) it will be too soon.  OK, the euphoric part wasn't so bad.  Honestly, I didn't expect to do that well.  The person that sold Judge to me pointed out some of his faults and said that while he was show quality, he probably would make a better brood buck.  Out of 14 solid senior bucks, I was somewhat surprised, though, that he came in last.  I was hoping to be somewhere towards the lower middle.  Another beautiful buck was disqualified because of his toenails (it placed in the top 5 in the next show...go figure!).  As my butterflies got the better of me, I must admit that I just kept repeating to myself, "please don't DQ him, please don't DQ him."  After the DQ'd buck and another little buck, it was his turn to be placed.  OK, not great, but at least not last.  Unfortunately, this was a no comment card show, so I strained my ears to listen to a fairly quiet judge that mumbled quite a bit (just as the people began to cheer, or holler really, for another breed being judged close by).  I heard very little.  


My expectations were more realistic at the next show - the show that he came in last.  The judge put a coin behind him and some of the others next to him.  Hmmm, I thought, maybe this judge sees something that the other judge didn't.  He did, he saw more flaws!  So after he goes over all of the rabbits, he comes back to judge, Judge (at times like this, his name is confusing - I was studying the Old Testament book of Judges when I named him).  He lists all of his flaws including his poorly conditioned coat (which evidently every rabbit had except for the winning buck).  Heard him loud and clear...great...can I have the quieter, mumbling judge back?!  Then, he waits for about half an hour before going on.  Please just continue already!  It would have been easier, somehow, if he had gone on to list some of the flaws of the next worse bucks (misery loves company).  So, here's where I get to do the walk of shame.  With all eyes on me from a hushed crowd (seriously, the quietest moment of the whole show), I lifted my sweet little bunny out.  I gave him a "you're a winner in my book" squeeze and waited for the judging to commence.  

 
Think he's trying to escape the shame to come, LOL

The silver lining...I've learned a lot.  It was definitely an experience in humility.  Those are always hard at the time and maybe even for a while afterwards, but they usually bring unexpected blessings and strength of character later.  As for Judge, his show career has been a short-lived one.  I don't plan to use him as a brood buck either.  Granted, I have no experience in breeding rabbits.  But, IMO, while there are some faults in one rabbit you can try to overcome with the strengths of another and vice versa, I don't think he has enough good traits to warrant them being passed on.  That is, except for his sweet, but inquisitive nature (no points given there though(-: ) and the judge did throw him a bone with "he has good ears."  But then, it seems, that almost all of them had good ears.  Good ears and poor coats.  Back to the drawing board.  Life goes on.


2 comments:

  1. :-( Judge is such a lucky bunny to have you. I'm sorry the show didn't go well, he looked like he was trying to 'dig out' in the coop. Maybe the next show will go better or maybe you can bring home some new stock. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You're so sweet. Ideally, I would like to get a buck and a doe at convention. I hadn't planned on going because it's so far away, but I hope it works out. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete