Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Big Daddy

This is the junior buck I brought back with me from convention.  I was finally able to take some pictures!  He's pretty skittish; so getting him to sit still without looking around for an escape is not easy...forget about posing.  But these will have to do for now.





It was quite an effort to get him back home.  I've never flown with an animal before and the new airport security measures make it very unpleasant.  There are lots of TSA agents and scanners, for bodies and bags.  When I made the reservation, they told me that I could ask for a separate room if I thought the animal might try to escape when I took him out of the bag.  So I asked...what an ordeal!  I do appreciate the measures that are now taken to ensure our safety, but I didn't want my new little guy running wildly through the airport!  If I had just complied, I would have had to take him out of the carrier and carry him with me through the body scanner.  Since they make you suspend your hands above your head in the scanner, I'm not exactly sure how this would have worked.  Poor baby, he was even pretty freaked out when I took him out of his carrier in the quiet room they took me to.  But, we eventually got through security and made it home.


So, more about this chocolate tort boy... He comes from Schwandt's Diamond D in Wisconsin.  His name is Schwandt's 1s131 and I've decided to call him Big Daddy (from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof).  I just love his coloring.  He's nice and short and has a nice head, crown and ears.  It's been a little over a week now since we returned home from convention and he seems to be adjusting okay.  He tolerates body/head rubs without jumping now and I can hold him easier... it's a process.

3 comments:

  1. He is CUTE!! I think the name fits him well also. Congrats on your new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting! Good to know about that airport stuff. Congratulations! He's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete